Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Blight"

"Blight"
Acrylic and Paper on Canvas 
24" x 24"


This ghost bird was the Carolina Parakeet, now extinct due to loss of habitat and over hunting. As people began to farm North Carolina land, they began to see the Carolina Parakeet as a pest that should be destroyed. They were eliminated by the 1930's.

 While in a class this summer learning about Fire Blight, I was reminded of the Carolina Parakeet. I started feeling a sad connection that I still don't fully understand. I wish I could see a tree turn green in winter when a flock lands in its leafless branches. I wish I could fill my land with apples for the birds to eat without abandon. I wish I could save my heirloom apple tree from its destruction.

 I am aware that I live in a selfish world. I question my own selfishness in my need to preserve things, to control a course of action. I still don't know what is right. Perhaps the process begins with inquiry.

You may learn more about the Carolina Parakeet here: Carolina Parakeet

No comments:

Post a Comment